Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Hallmark Syndrome

Warmed-Over Salutations
Most people seem to be so blown away when I write a nice note of thanks to them. They are so taken by the sincerity that they act as if I just handed them a bomb. This has happened a lot to me because I am honest. People are so used to the vapid words of thanks. Thank You cards with pre-written messages in them. They don't know what to think when they get something that actually came from someone's own brain. I've never understood any card with any message written in for us.

Even those greeting card commercials admit to it. They help you say what you mean. How come you can't say what you mean by yourself? I've gone shopping with people who are looking for a card that says what they mean for them. An entire store packed with cards and it takes them hours to find something that "sort of" expresses what they had in mind. It's even more fascinating to me when someone in that situation will say, "None of these cards say what I wanted to say!"

If nothing expresses what you wanted to say then why didn't you purchase a blank card and write what you knew you wanted to say? Possibly because they subconsciously are afraid to say what they feel. Consider this: How would you feel if someone hand wrote the same pre-written sappy message in most cards? I'd be touched. I am not touched if that message is printed in the card by a machine. It's insincere.

A Note of Thanks for Stopping By
Which is why they freak out when I write a nice little note telling someone about how they changed the lives of others. A handwritten, "You're wonderful!" It seems to weigh on people. It's as if you told them you are in love with them. It's the same reaction. It shouldn't be.

It takes no time for me to throw away any cards without personal notes in them. A stamp and the knowledge you spent some money on a machine printed thought is not good enough. It is something, but it's not the level I'm looking for. I appreciate the thought of not being forgotten, but I needed more thought than that. Tell me how you really feel. Say hello in your own way, not the way they wanted you to. Express yourself in any way that they didn't want you to and I'll always appreciate it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Internet's First Super Star

In Bed with Myself "In Bed With Myself" is a tell-all autobiographical self-help adventure. Throughout the story of becoming known as The Internet's First Super Star, D explains his life and the obstacles gone through to get to the top of the underground Internet fame game from the late 90's to early 00's.

With D's quick wit and hilarious story telling ability, "In Bed With Myself" will answer all your questions. How do you survive and strive online? How do you create an Internet celebrity? How does it become your main income? Trans tribulations and top floor adventures in broadcast; The Artist D tells all from birth to rebirth in this exciting adventurous tale.

Click here to return to The Artist D.com !

Followers